Roof tiles are available in different materials. Some are better than others, but even the high-quality roofing tiles need occasional maintenance. Roof gets exposed to extreme UV rays, hail, tropical downpours, and falling tree branches. This means roof needs consistent maintenance to ensure optimal performance, appealing aesthetics, and improved house resale value.
Terracotta roof tiles made from baked earth attracts moss and lichen on its surface. This needs to be cleaned or it continues to grow over the surface and possibly restrict rain water flow into roof gutters.
Cleaning terracotta roof tiles
- Apply eco-friendly anti-fungal solution on the moss and lichen, before starting the roof cleaning process.
- This will kill all the moss and lichen developed on roof surface prior high pressure cleaning.
- Approximately straight water having 3000psi is used while cleaning.
- Turbo nozzle helps in hi-power water pressure to eliminate the dead moss and lichen.
- The tiles recover their natural color and ensure that roof performs in the way it was intended for.
Avoid cleaning old tiles
Terracotta roof tiles get brittle overtime. They can break, so if your roof is old then walking on the tiles for water cleaning can cause it to crack. Water enters roof cavities and creates issues. Walking on brittle roof is hard, so you don’t get good results.
Terracotta roof tiles suffer from fretting generally due to salt, especially near the sea. Fretting occurs under the roof tiles lap. Badly fretting tiles can be replaced, but is a short-term solution. It is wise to contact the local terracotta roof restoration services to get the best advice.
Cracked, broke, or missing roof tiles
Roof maintenance and repair is not a safe DIY task. There are many aspects to consider in tile repair or replacement, which is better left for professionals to handle. They are familiar with –
- Choosing correct replacement tile
- Working safely on a ladder
- Use climbing ropes for protection against fall working on slippery or steep inclined roofs.
- Tactics to remove cracked tile and replace the new one, properly.
- Check the entire roof area for potential damage.
Remember chipped or cracked tiles need to be taken care by professional roof repair services.